Wednesday, September 7, 2011

The (My) Sears Guy

This morning I went for an early run and I was quickly reminded of two things. One, I hate (sorry to used the H-word) being cold and two, I miss my village. While everyone is going around talking about how beautiful the weather is, I’m secretly mourning the loss of heat, humidity and 90 + temps; I’m mourning the fact that my ears were cold for the entire 5 miles this morning. And my village? Well, I guess I can’t expect Berm the Worm or Mary Elizabeth to call every time we leave the garage door open, but Mr. Mark on Alpine Ave would’ve called. To be fair, Mr. Mark knew our phone number and I’m not sure Berm can even see to dial, but still it was a shock to realize that we (although, it wasn’t me!) left the garage door open all night, which is a little embarrassing considering that we are still in transition (read: chaos) but at least I didn’t have to worry about anyone taking anything. I’m pretty sure if anyone tried, they would take one look and decide it wasn’t worth it.


Once you close the garage door, though, you walk into a beautiful kitchen filled with new appliances and new cabinets and a drawer that hides my trash. There’s even a little tip-drawer for my sponges and a faucet that has the sprayer connected; I mean how cool is that? The only problem is that having new things breeds paranioa. Legos in the kitchen? I don’t think so. Are those scissors? Absolutely not. What? You thought you were going to get to eat in here? Step away from my (ooops, I mean our) kitchen.

The first time I cooked in the new oven, I was making BLT’s. (In case yall missed it, I'm a fan of the sandwich and BLT's are my way of really stepping it up a notch!) Anyway, in an effort to keep bacon grease from spilling all over, I lined the bottom with Reynolds wrap. This is a good idea, right? Me being responsible, right? Well, according to the service man who visited my house today, Reynolds wrap melts under high heat….it becomes like metal and it is now basically welded to the bottom of my (our) new oven. He looks it over and chuckles, “Yep, that’s too bad.” He wasn’t here, though, because of my Reynolds fiasco. He was here because my (good grief, our) new oven makes a noise…almost like a loud fan….when it’s pre-heating. I’ve never had an oven that you could actually hear, so I requested a service call. Turns out, we have a convection oven and there’s seriously a fan that heats it up. But here’s how I see it, thanks to me that Sears guy is going to be ahead of schedule all day and better yet, he got to start his morning with a good laugh (or two, if he remembers the Reynolds and I’m thinking he will).

The Sears guy probably can’t do anything about fall (or the looming winter) but he did teach me how to heat up my oven and I guess, in a weird way, that makes him part of my village.

1 comment:

  1. I am really loving your blog. Sorry to hear about the mishap with your oven. I used to always dread fall and winter and loved only spring and summer... but I have to admit after this summer we have had I am one of those loving this weather. I don't think you ever get used to the cold weather, but just learn to adapt. You may need some ear muffs. :o)

    ~Karen

    ReplyDelete